Thursday, May 18, 2017

A tale of love powering creativity

DL student Susanti
My name is Susanti and I come from Indonesia. The 17th February 2017 was one of the most auspicious days of my life. This is the day I tied the knot with my husband, Chris. I met Chris five years ago while we were both working in Jakarta. It was our love that started my romance with this beautiful country, Australia, and brought me to the peaceful city of Brisbane.

My dream was to make my own wedding dress so I could wear something special that I made with my own hands. I wanted my dress to be unique and one day, if I have a daughter, pass it down to her so she can be proud of her mother.

I believe I inherited my crochet skills from my mother but I had never done a crochet dress before. I had my fair share of doubts before starting work on my wedding dress. Could I finish it on time? Would it be good enough?  It was also a challenge to keep it a secret from Chris as I wanted to give him a nice surprise.

I started working on my wedding dress in mid-November 2016 and finally completed it on my wedding day with some final touches. I love roses so I used white cotton yarn to crochet about a hundred roses for my dress. I lined it with navy blue and added lavender flowers. I spent innumerable happy hours creating something new.

My DL teacher, Sonia, was one of the few people with whom I shared the progress of my dress every week. She inspired me to keep a visual record of how the dress was gradually taking shape. On my wedding day, Chris and the guests were pleasantly surprised which made me proud of all my efforts.

I feel I began a new chapter of my life with a new belief in myself.  I believe that if you have confidence in yourself and try hard to achieve your dreams you can achieve anything that you set your heart upon.  And no matter what lies in the road ahead, staying positive and having patience and faith will get you there.

Congratulations Susanti on your wedding and on this handmade masterpiece. We wish you well in your new life. Thanks for sharing your wonderful, happy story.
  • What is something you made that required skill and effort that you were proud of?
  • Are we all creative? What empowers your creativity?
  • What skills would you like to learn or like to have learnt? Why?

14 comments:

  1. Well done Susanti - that dress looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanti, firstly I would like to congratulate you on your wedding. Your wedding dress is very beautiful. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susanti would be finishing her hours this week . I am so happy that she got to share her story with all of us. And what a terrific journey it has been with the beautiful dress! Susanti, I know that with your confidence and your pleasing personality you can achieve anything you set your heart upon. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanti, what a work of art! Your dress looks and sounds amazing! All the very best! A great story and I admire your creativity so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susanti for sharing your story and congratulations on finishing your hours with AMEP DL. We have no doubt that you have the determination and creativity to go on to achieve bigger and better things in life. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having an inspiration empowers you to be creative in many fields. Best wishes to you Susanti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your encouraging comments and support. Special thank you for my lovely teacher Sonia who always gave me inspiration and asked me to never give up. In our lives we will face many challenges but we have to keep on flying with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Amazing! Well done Susanti!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulation! You made a beautiful wedding dress. I like your story very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Susanti
    Congratulations on your wedding and your wedding dress! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Susanti and Chris on your wedding and what a beautiful dress! I like your idea of making your own wedding dress. I have never seen someone make their own wedding dress, I believe it will become a family heirloom. I wish the two of you a long and happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you and your husband.I hope you continue your creative ideas in your life and have lovely time together with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role. Now we are able to make your love life healthy and no space for any type of trouble. These all are possible with the help of EKPEN TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back within 48hours who left me for another woman. You can also contact him on EKPENTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM or add him on WHATSAPP +2347050270218 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

    ReplyDelete