Sunday, March 19, 2017

Harmony in Australia is like a patchwork quilt!

We celebrate Harmony Day this week on Tuesday 21st March. For Navitas AMEP students it's a very important time to celebrate Australia's cultural diversity. It's a time to share our culture and traditions and enjoy all the things that make us different. By sharing our culture we can learn from each other and by listening come to respect the pride others have in their traditions.
For Harmony Day we have an interview with one of our DL teachers, Sonia. Part 1 is here and part 2 on the Events tab above.

DL teacher Sonia
On the Events tab there are also questions, activities and the audio of this interview. First think about the heading "Harmony in Australia is like a patchwork quilt." A patchwork quilt is a blanket made from different pieces of colourful material. Why do you think Sonia says this?

Maree: Hi Sonia, can you tell us a little about your home country?
Sonia: Hi Maree, ah I'm from Bangladesh. It's a small country in South Asia with many mighty rivers and fertile soil. Now over the centuries many people from different lands have settled here and brought their cultures with them.

Maree: Ah that's interesting, so how do you think this influenced your culture and traditions today?
Mm I guess our cultural heritage was enriched by all these traditions, the language, food, music and festivals. It created a unique Bengali culture and identity and I think it's the reason why my culture promotes hospitality and respect for other traditions and cultural practices. In fact celebration is a big part of Bangladeshi culture. We celebrate the arrival of the new Year, the spring season, the harvesting season and being a secular society we also celebrate the two Eids, Pujas, Christmas..and you know, no celebration is without food, music and lots of colourful dresses.

Maree: Wow that's an amazing mix of cultures, it sounds really harmonious.
So this week is harmony week and Tuesday the 21st is Harmony Day. What does Harmony Day mean to you?
Sonia: To me harmony is central to my existence. It's about living peacefully in a society where everyone's cultural identity is respected. As you know in Australia people from different countries, religions and ethnic backgrounds all live together. Sometimes I think harmony in Australia is like a patchwork quilt with all the cultures making up the colourful patchwork pieces.

Maree: Oh that's beautiful! I love that analogy. I can just imagine the patchwork quilt. I'd love to make one. So what will you do this year on Harmony Day?
Sonia:Oh at my work in Distance Learning all the teachers will share a harmony day lunch. We'll bring some food from our cultures to share and I'm hoping to wear a traditional dress called 'salwar kamiz'. We'll celebrate our diversity and try to learn more about each other's cultures, maybe even share some recipes as well.

Maree: Oh that sounds great. I'm going to bring ingredients for Vietnamese rice paper rolls and all the teachers can make one.
Sonia: Oh that's good, it sounds really interesting, I'm really looking forward to it.

Thank you Sonia for sharing your culture and traditions.
For part 2 of the interview, audio, questions and activities click on the Events tab above.
  • What do you think harmony is like? I think harmony is like a.....
  • What is a big part of your culture?
  • What does Harmony Day mean to you?
Click here Harmony Day events to go the Harmony Day website to find activities in your area.

13 comments:

  1. Such a lovely, positive interview, Sonia. A big thanks to you and Maree for sharing your thoughts. I too loved your analogy of the patchwork quilt and the bouquet of flowers. Australia has been well and truly enriched by cultural diversity and we need to keep sharing stories with each other. That's why I love teaching DL as all my students have a unique story of resilience and tenacity and a great desire to contribute to Australian society. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith for your lovely words. Australia is a great country with great people which has made it easy for me.

      Delete
  2. The Persian New Year is called Norooz and marks the first day of spring. Norooz celebrates renewal and rebirth, symbolized by the coming of spring. It is an ancient holiday that was celebrated thousands of years ago. Now, it is also an important Iranian cultural holiday. This year, Norooz falls on Monday, March 20 . Happy Norooz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Norooz to Shiva and all our students from Iran, Afghanistan and the region who celebrate this day. May you and your families have a healthy and happy year ahead.

      Delete
  3. This year, I celebrated Tet Festival with my family and Australian friends.
    I went to Inala Market, bought some Vietnamese ingredients and cooked traditional Vietnamese food.It looked so yummy. As is the custom I burnt some incense, put the food on the table and prayed.Then my guests arrived  and we enjoyed the food.I made a little speech wishing everybody health and luck.My teacher helped me with my speech during the lesson the week before.Everyone was happy and laughed. I'll celebrate Tet festival every year because I want my children to remember my culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the Tet festival with us Trinh. It's so nice that you can continue this festival with your family.

      Delete
  4. I think Harmony day is like a beautiful rainbow where all the different colors look magnificent together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sonia for sharing your experiences of living in a multicultural Australia. Australia has been named as the world's most successful multicultural nation. This success, of course, is due to the tolerance and respect, which Australians of different backgrounds, show each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross. I could not agree more with you.

      Delete
  6. Thank you everyone for your ideas and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role. Now we are able to make your love life healthy and no space for any type of trouble. These all are possible with the help of EKPEN TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back within 48hours who left me for another woman. You can also contact him on EKPENTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM or add him on WHATSAPP +2347050270218 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

    ReplyDelete