Monday, May 30, 2016

Changing careers

Yining, Navitas, Perth
I graduated from University of Shanghai, China, in the field of Science and Technology in 2002. I worked for an automotive components company as an Engineer for more than ten years. 

I came to Australia with my family in January 2014 and settled in Perth, Western Australia. At first I tried to send out my resume to many different places to find a job in my field of study as an Engineer. But all I received was rejection letters. 

When I started my Distance Learning AMEP course in June 2014, my DL teacher, Bernadette, chose the theme of Work from Your Call.  I learned how to write a good cover letter and rewrote my resume according to the Australian standards. We also practised job interview questions during class.

My DL teacher also put me in touch with the DL Pathways Advisor, Jennifer, who arranged an interview for me with the Challenger Institute.  I knew I had to change careers so I wanted to find out the best future study option.  They advised me to enrol in Certificate III in Sterilisation because there is a huge demand for new technicians.

After my English improved and I completed the Sterilisation course I sent out my new resume.  I was offered 3 interviews in hospitals and got my first job in a private hospital in Perth in December 2014. I am very happy and I feel I belong in Australia.

I am very lucky that I could study English with DL in Navitas.  I consider my DL teacher, Bernadette, to be my mentor who is guiding my new life in Australia.  I really appreciated the fact that she had a similar experience many years ago and she is willing to share her failure and success stories to encourage me.

Congratulations Yining on your first job in Australia.  We are pleased your DL teacher and Pathways Advisor were able to put you on the right path.
  • How do you feel about changing careers?
  • The average person changes careers 5-7 times. What do you think are the reasons?
  • Have you changed careers yourself?  Why? What were the challenges and the benefits?
Check out the Pathways tab for more information on changing careers.

Why not add a comment below!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Yining. Everyone have to be open for changing career to get the better life. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yining. That's a beautiful story.We are so lucky to be here because such an open country.I think not many countries like that.All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yining, Your story is inspiring, and it gives me the strength to keep looking for a better life in this wonderful country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you!
    If you could do it,maybe i can do it to...
    I have the same teacher" Bernadette'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Yining. I really admire your personality and hope to be on the path of success for ever.

    ReplyDelete