Monday, May 30, 2016

Harmony Day- Our diversity is our strength!

Harmony Day is on Monday 21st March and it's a time to celebrate Australia's diversity. We celebrate that people, who are from many different cultures, live in Australia. We are all different and that is great! This diversity makes us strong. Our diversity is our strength!
DL Virtual Restaurant
We are going to celebrate our diversity by sharing our favourite meal. On the Events tab are activities for you to do with your teacher. You can write a recipe, then send your recipe to your teacher. Your recipes will be shared on the blog in the DL. Virtual Restaurant. You will be able to sample the menu by reading DL students' recipes and try cooking a meal from another culture.
Food is memory
Cooking and sharing meals and recipes helps us to connect to our culture. Each dish has a special meaning. So with your recipe you can also write how it's important to you. One of our students, Paweena wrote: "Every dish brings me back to my childhood. Every bite takes me to my home. Food is memory! Sometimes it makes me cry from happiness, but it heals me from homesickness too."
Everyone Belongs
Sharing food helps us to connect to others and feel like we belong. Last year on Harmony Day, DL students wrote their thoughts on belonging. Here are some of their thoughts.
Belonging is:
......"Knowing Australia is a multicultural country, they accept people from everywhere in the world, so it is not strange for me anymore." I think that is what  belonging means.”-Shirley

........"when I am not isolated and lonely- I am part of the community. I feel there is a very large community outside of my home so I belong to it as an individual to build it up." -Maryam

........."feeling I belong to my community because I know my neighborhood. ..I am willing to contribute to the community by attending multicultural activities and sharing my culture."- Lifang

.........."cooking Aussie food (barbeque), learning Aussie slang (G’ day Mate) and making Aussie friends (my neighbour)."- Kataai

Go up to the Events tab to start the DL Virtual Restaurant Activities



No comments:

Post a Comment