Monday, May 30, 2016

DL welcomes an AMEP volunteer in their offices

Ksenia, volunteer with DL
Ksenia comes from Russia.  After one month of arriving in Australia in April 2015 she started her AMEP English lessons with Navitas in Hurstville.  Gaining more confidence with her English, Ksenia enrolled in a SLPET (Settlement Language Pathway for Education and Training) course in Business Administration.

It was good luck that brought Ksenia to complete her work experience component of the course in Distance Learning as we always need extra help with administrative jobs.  After completing her 2 week work placement, Ksenia took initiative and asked if she could continue to work with us a on voluntary basis. Because we could see that Ksenia was very professional we were delighted to have her continue work with us.

We asked Ksenia about her 2 week work experience.  She said: "It was very useful because I had never worked in Australia before and I wanted to see what it would be like, how different it would be from working in Russia and how I can contribute.  Being in a new place with a new set of circumstances can be scary.  I didn't know what people do or the culture of the workplace in Australia.  I feel more confident now."

We also asked Ksenia why she offered to volunteer after her 2 week work experience was finished.  She said "I enjoy working as part of a team and being productive.  I find it hard to be home all the time.  Plus it helps me stay in touch with technology and work practices.  It is important not to lose my skills specially as I am looking for a job. I feel ready to work in Australia."

The management team in Distance Learning are so impressed by Ksenia's attitude to work and her administrative and computer skills.  The manager offered to be her referee and would highly recommend her for any job she applies for.  Although it would be sad to lose Ksenia, we wish her all the best for finding paid employment.

Do you have a good volunteering story to share!  Why not add your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment